Wednesday, May 20, 2009

My Garden Of Eden

I began planting yesterday, though I'm not sure how all this is going to work. The ground has a lot of clay and though I dug and broke up clods of dirt, and bought 3 bags of organically enriched soil and some cow manure compost, I'm thinking it may take a couple of years to get it to where I want it.


Pepper plant...I planted 3 of them, hoping at least one works.

My favorite, Mr. Tomato. Although Jack and I are the only ones who actually eat tomatoes, I'm hoping to make my own pasta sauces and freeze them, along with John's favorite fried green tomatoes. The dude hates tomatoes, and hates fried food in general, but for whatever reason enjoys fried green tomatoes. I don't care...it's all yum to me!

Of course I had to plant a row of marigold's, just like Grandpa Z taught me. It keeps the rabbits away. Now to prepare for cutworms....

I also started an herb garden in a little planter, since buying fresh herbs is somewhat expensive. My sweet basil...





Rosemary-I love how she smells.




More rosemary, and cilantro.



I also started from seed cucumbers, zucchini squash, cantaloupe and carrots, but since I'm not a very good seed grower we'll see. I also want to add to my herb garden with chives and oregano and parsley from seed, but again, we'll see. I'm also experimenting with planting my white strawberry bush (I hardly get any strawberries since the birds eat them first, but the ones I do get are SO good) and a blueberry bush.
I figure with all this I will save money at farmer's markets this year, but I have decided I will be buying those organic eggs and since we are going to be drinking less milk thru the summer, I'll be buying organic hormone free milk. I know it's expensive, but I think there's a reason all these kids are developing and growing up too early, and maybe it's our hormone laden food. Next step of course, will be our meat products, but that may have to wait until I'm working more, because that gets pricey.
Summer is off to a good start though! Wish me luck on my seedlings!!!

No comments: