Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Fasting and Feasting


I was reminded on Sunday that we are now in the Lenten Season. I learned Sunday that Lent really is some old word which really means, "spring". How nice. Be Gone Snow...Tis Lenten!
Some people and religions 'give something up' for lent. Formally, that notion is very odd to me. I'm not very indulgent to begin with, for one thing. I don't drink soda, I'm pretty restrictive on my alcohol consumption (one weekend night, unless it's a special occasion) and I don't regularly imbibe in sweets. Not to mention, my particular branch of faith doesn't really ask me to give up cookies and chocolate. It almost is like Lent is your last big push to renew your New Year's Resolution. "This year I will lose ten pounds when I give up BEER for Lent!" Can't help but think we are missing the point a bit.
I really do understand the need for sacrifice, especially as a metaphoric initiative. And so, there are several things I would like to fast on that I will share with you. I didn't write this, I don't know who did, but I liked it so much I thought I'd share.
"Whether fasting as individuals or with others, it is important that we not do it for "show". So during this Lenten season, move beyond chocolate to declare our own fast:
Fast from judgment, Feast on compassion
Fast from worry, Feast on divine order
Fast from criticism, Feast on appreciation
Fast from sin, Feast on holiness of heart
Fast from gossip, Feast on praise
Fast from anxiety, Feast on patience
Fast from hatred, Feast on love
Fast from evil, Feast on kindness
Fast from apathy, Feast on engagement
Fast from pessimism, Feast on optimism.
Fast from greed, Feast on sharing
Fast from scarcity, Feast on abundance
Fast from fear, Feast on peace
Fast from lies, Feast on truth
Fast from discontent, Feast on gratitude
Fast from noise, Feast on silence
Fast from discouragement, Feast on hope
Fast from thoughts of illness, Feast on the healing power of God.
Fast from hostility, Feast on non-resistance.
Fast from bitterness, Feast on forgiveness.
Fast from unrelenting pressures, Feast on unceasing prayer."
What can you live without? What do you need? What are you fasting and feasting on right now? The power of intentional living is so inviting, isn't it?

No comments: