Tuesday, January 11, 2011

If I Made Resolutions, I Wouldn't Have the TIME to Keep Them Anyway

It is already almost mid January, and I haven't had 3 minutes to sit down and think about what my New Years Resolutions should be. I suppose I could consider them for the Chinese New Year, but I don't even know if that's in February or at the end of this month this year. And is it the year of the Pig again yet?...because I always find it funny to say I'm in the year of the pig.

I've been thinking that my resolution for last year worked out really, really, well. A personal goal of making the world a better place just by being in it, inspired by the letter in the mail from my pastors. So I'm thinking I'm going to try it again. Even if I just do it for ONE person, I resolve to try and make the world a better place. I like how these leaves a lot of leeway for me. It's my kind of goal to set. And maybe it goes without saying that I don't mean making the whole wide world better, because that is impossible, but the small world of one person. Then that person can make another person's world better, and we will all start to pay it forward.

I also really need to make a better effort at making play dates for Nate. He does alright with the neighborhood kids when they're all running around shooting each other with Nerf darts, but the kids are for the most part all older than he is, so it really should go without saying that I'm going to make more of an effort to call his peers and set things up. We had one of his friends over last week, and it was great. Nate was a super host and I got my floors clean. What more could I want?

I suppose I should also resolve to give the Olympic distance tri one more try. The one in Omaha was crazy hard, and there just happens to be one closer to home I could try before I decide that that particular distance is really not for me.

I'm working very hard on resolving to be less of the yelling mom, because quite frankly I've given myself headaches. I hereby make the resolution to save the hardcore yelling for when my kids are doing something purely boneheaded, such as tying bungee cords to the trees and trying to climb them. I wasn't sure if we'd have broken arms or one less eye to see out of, but the yelling certainly got their attention. I hereby resolve to indulge in a glass of wine when I feel a yelling fit a comin' on.

So far so good on the resolving thing. I like what I've got, but could probably add more. Any suggestions are welcome, but I'd love to know what you're planning on doing to make someone elses 2011 better than their 2010, so let's hear how your're going to become a better person by doing THAT.

No comments: