Thursday, October 13, 2011

Girls Are Just Stooopid, period.

Wow! I really did say that! I really looked at my 8 year old precious boy and said, 'You know son, sometimes girls are just stupid.".
Me, who is all pro women's rights.
Me, who took multiple feminist lit classes in college.
Me, who would have burned my bra in a war protest had I been born at the right historical time.
Me, who is trying to raise my daughter to be strong, independent, carefree, secure in her own skin and not pressured to conform to what those dreaded "boys" think looked my son in the eyes and told him girls were stupid. It defies all logic.

To be fair, he is having some issues at school socially. He confided, finally, that some girls tease him, and say he's gross. So instead of explaining how that means they must have a "crush on you" and give him some other paltry rhetoric, I just came out with, "Girls are stupid".

So what lessons have I taught my son? When girls say something you disagree with, they are lower on the intelligence ladder of evolution. What lesson have I taught my daughter? Mommy just says things she doesn't mean? I'm all hot air and no action? Don't believe what I say?

Or, better yet, "Honey, just tell boys what they want to hear, and continue life as it were. Literally, they cannot function without us, but we must pretend to let them think that they can. We are good enough, smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like us."

Or have I simply taught my children the definition of a hypocrite?

No comments: